Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chapter 4 - Being Persuasive

Persuasion is an important element in technical writing because the topics that are written about use persuasion as a means to convince those presented with the information that the described point of view is pertinent and should be taken into consideration.  There are usually many people who will view the documents created and their opinion on the subject will vary.  This is where persuasion becomes integral.

Key Points:

Rhetoric - The Art of Persuasion

Specific Goals:
  • Arguing to influence people's opinions
  • Arguing to enlist people's support
  • Submitting a proposal
  • Arguing to change people's behavior

Possible Reactions of the Audience:
  • Says who?
  • So what?
  • Why should I?
  • Why rock the boat?
  • What's in it for me?
  • What will it cost?
  • What are the risks?
  • What are you up to?
  • What's in it for your?
  • What does this really mean?
  • Will it mean more work for me?
  • Will it make me look bad?

Differing Levels of Response to Persuasion:
  • Compliance 
    • The ideal response
    • "I'm yielding to your demand in order to get a reward or to avoid punishment. I really don't accept it, but I feel pressured, and so I'll go along to get along."
  • Identification 
    • A willing but productive response
    • "I'm going along with your appeal because I like and believe you, I want you to like me, and I feel we have something in common."
  • Internalization 
    • A grudging and often unproductive response
    • "I'm yielding because what you're saying makes good sense and it fits my goals and values."

Give-and-Take:
  • When offering your side:
    • Explain the reasoning and evidence behind it
    • Invite people to find weak spots in your case, and to improve on it
    • Invite people to challenge your ideas (ex. alternative reasoning or data)
  • When others offer an opposing view:
    • Try to see things their way, instead of insisting on your way
    • Rephrase an opposing position in your own words, to be sure you understand it accurately
    • Try reaching agreement on what to do next, to resolve any insurmountable differences
    • Explore possible compromises others might accept

Specific Responses are important to the desired effects of the document and direct questions should be asked. Though, it is also important to Never Ask for Too Much. So that the audience's acceptance level is not exceeded.

Possible Constraints:
  • What can I say around here, to whom, and how?
  • Should I say it in person, by phone, in print, online?
  • Could I be creating any ethical or legal problems?
  • Is this the best time to say it?
  • What is my relationship with the audience?
  • Who are the personalities involved?
  • Is there any peer pressure to overcome?
  • How big an issue is this?

Support Claims by Offering Evidence:
  • The evidence has quality - Instead of sheer quantity people expect evidence that is strong, specific, new, different, and verifiable.
  • The sources are credible - People want to know where the evidence comes from, how it was collected, and who collected it.
  • The evidence is considered reasonable - It falls within the audience's "Latitude of Acceptance".

Situations to look out for when considering Cultural Context:
  • When people are offended by blatant criticism
  • When their customs are ignore
  • When their values are trivialized

No comments:

Post a Comment